Ukrainian city in photos from 1917

18920 May, 22:5 / Source: oesta.gv.at
0reposts
Фото © oesta.gv.at

These photos are kept in the Austrian State Archives in Vienna. They were made by military photographers who were in Sniatyn (now Ivano-Frankivsk region) in 1917.

The first mention of this city is dated 1158. It is believed that his name comes from the name of the governor Kosnyatin Syroslavich, a noble boyar at the court of the Galician prince Yaroslav Osmomysl.

After the transition of Galicia under the authority of the Polish king Casimir III, Sniatyn became the center of eldership. The first warden was Otto Chodechsky. For a long time, the elders were representatives of the Buchatskikh gentry, in particular, Michal "The Muzhilo" Buchatsky, his son Michal, and grandson of David.

Over time, the city became an important trade center with annual fairs, and in 1448 received Magdeburg Law.

Then Snyatyn belonged to the Commonwealth, and from the end of the XVIII century - Austria. With the beginning of the First World War, Austrian troops settled here. It was this period and managed to display in the photographs of 1917.
Search by lots at auction
Search in all auctions
Искать в разделе